Bitterrenaissanceman

Truly a man of the world, my interests range across the spectrum, from food, to other kinds of food.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Exclusive interview with Moshiach!

I saw him standing on the corner, near where the Brooklyn bus unloads. He was wearing a long jacket and beaver hat, fiddling with his bushy beard, and he appeared deep in thought. In stark contrast to the other travellers milling about, he didn't seem to be in a rush to get somewhere.
People met and greeted, collected their luggage and headed off, but he just stood there.
I had to pass him to get to my car, and as I did, I asked the man, "Can I give you a ride somewhere?"
"Where are you going?" he asked. His diction was perfectly american, which caught me by surprise, I guess.
"What?" I asked, though I had heard him.
"Voo fuert ah Yeed?" He asked again, in a thick yerushalmi yiddish.
I told him the neighborhood.
"Is there a Beis Medrash there? A place where there will be people learning now?"
There was, I assured him after checking my watch. I assumed he was a meshulach, and was looking for a place where the picking would be good. But as he climbed into the car, I noticed that his attache case looked to be very shiny, yet supple leather, and his suit was tailored of fine natural fabric.
The ride was not a short one, so I made some small talk while I watched in the mirror as he settled himself.
"Where are you from?" I asked.
"Rome." He answered. "Actually, my residence is not there, per se, however, of late I've been there much of the time. My present sojourn began there, so in that sense it would be an accurate answer, regardless.
"Rome?" I asked. "What is it that you do in Rome?"
"Well," he replied, adjusting the bobby pins in his yarmulka, "mostly, I just wait. The work I'm supposed to do is liberate the Jewish people and rebuild the Temple, but I'm waiting for final word from my Upstairs."
"You mean.. You're telling me..You are moshiach?!"
"Most people call me that," he said. "Although Eliyahu says that G-d refers to me as Menachem. And on Tisha B'av, they call me the birthday boy."
I was stunned speechless. Imagine that! Being in a car together with the redeemer of the Jews! It was an incredible honor, but I was too nervous to say anything! We sat in silence for what seemed like days.
Finally, I decided that this was too good an opportunity to pass up. I looked in the rearview mirror, trying to get a good look at the one who would be the greatest king Israel had ever known. He was opening an Artscroll Tehillim.
"M-M-MOshiach Tzidkeinu..." I quavered, "What will help us to bring you bimheira biyameinu amain?"
He closed the tehillim and sat thoughtfully for a few minutes.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when do we get part two? bimhera beyameinu?

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Why is he staying in Rome?

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are being wasted in the blogsphere! How about treating us to some of your work in the published world? You are one talented dude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home